Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Moon Tower Inn

4 out of 5 Stars

Website
3004 Canal St
Houston, TX 77003
(832) 266-0105

We live in a world where one's options for a hot dog range from Jame's Coney Island's 99 cent boiled processed meat (Tuesdays only, folks) to Max's Wine Dive's laughable $14 gourmet "haute dog" (seriously, $14 for a dog???).

So aside from the occasional baseball game and backyard bar b q's, I've been sticking to Hebrew National from my grocery store.

Enter Moon Tower Inn. Not just a happy medium - but serving the hipsters of Houston (and the rest of us) the MOST PERFECT HOT DOG.

Moon Tower Inn reminds me of a house party that never truly ended. In the heart of the Warehouse District stands a few picnic benches, an old fountain, horseshoes, a makeshift stage, and, of course the hot dog stand. It's anti establishment, kind of a hot mess, and it works for me.

They rotate a serious beer list (all under $4) but always have $1 Lonestars on tap.

During my inaugural visit to MTI, I opted for the "Velvet Elkis" (made with elk, pear, apple and port and topped off with their spicy mayo) out of the 4 gourmet dogs they were offering that day.

MTI, are you for real? This $6 dog was totally worth it. The dog itself was thick, juicy, spicy, and BURSTING WITH FLAVOR. I regularly eat my dogs sans bun (not for fear of carbs), because most buns are weak. MTI's buns.....made from straight up pretzel dough...YES, PLEASE.

I devoured my dog, washed it down with my Lonestar and thought to myself, "how about another!".....not so fast. One dog fed me just fine.

I didn't get to experience the "scene" or the long wait I had read about, as I came on a Tuesday night, but after my Velvet Elkins, I think I could handle it.

The guys manning the stand were as cool as can be and could only be friendlier if they offered hugs with their hot dogs (and that would be weird).

Bottom line: $7 for "damn good food" and a "cold ass beer" is a winner in my eyes.

So Moon Tower Inn, Round 2, Tatonka (buffalo dog)...let's do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment