Monday, February 7, 2011

Pagoda

4 out of 5 Stars
Website
4705 Inker St
Houston, TX 77007
(832) 673-0400

The Great Arctic Freeze of 2011 had me craving pho! The dilemma: I was nowhere near Van Loc - my "pho-to".

Solution: Pagoda - as I had no issue spending a extra $2 on "fancy" pho so long as it's delicious and nearby (since I was in The Heights).

You know that feeling when your friend has described someone for weeks, months or years and you finally meet them and they sound / look nothing like what you built up inside your mind?

That's what happened with me and Pagoda. I have passed what I realize now is an upscale, trendy Vietnamese hot spot more than 100 times thinking it was a quaint, random bungalow turned Vietnamese Ma and Pa restaurant.

And why wouldn't I - it looks like a typical Heights house.

WRONG. SO WRONG.

To my surprise, Pagoda's got it going on, but it appears nobody knows it as we were one of 2 tables in this 2 story gem (maybe it was the weather).

Pagoda boasts an asian-zen decor with grand chandeliers and a gorgeous bar.

Mind blowing and extremely contrary to my imagination.

Many Vietnamese fanatics would criticize its menu much like others criticize Gigi's Americanized Asian fare in the Galleria. You are not going to find $5 noodle dishes here like you might at more authentic spots in Midtown. What you will find is a rather large selection of Vietnamese inspired dishes that will make your taste buds dance in excitement.

My trio started out with the spring rolls that came with shrimp and pork. I went sans pork and thoroughly enjoyed each bite with an excellent peanut dipping sauce.

Intrigued by the menu, my friends deviated from the pho plan and went with a pot roast and beef noodle dish, Dragon Noodle.

I however, stuck to my initial plan. The second I ordered my bowl of pho, I began having buyer's remorse. Should I really be ordering pho from a place with a live DJ on Thursdays????
My fears subsided after just one sip of broth and slurp of noodle. My craving quieted, my body temperature defrosted - heaven. I dressed my otherwise excellent beef broth with a little hoisin and a dash of Siracha in pure delight. I'll admit that the beef slices could have been a little less tough, but at $8, this was no deal breaker.

My friend's pot roast, the Bo Kho was the actual envy of the table. This was one of those "stick to your bones" stews that looked as delicious as it tasted. Served in a deep bowl of dark brown sweet and savory gravy with a fresh baguette on the side to dip with, it's a dish not to miss.

I did not make room for the Dragon Noodles, but my friend noted the freshness of the Chinese broccoli in the dish and cleaned his plate.

In addition to their excellent cuisine, Pagoda doubles as a lounge I would not mind having a drink or two in. As I mentioned, the bar itself was beautiful and produced an appetizing cocktail list. I passed this time, but would return for $5 martinis on Wednesdays or reverse happy hour on Thursdays.
Their upstairs doubles as an excellent spot for private events, mixers, and even a unique rehearsal dinner location.

To put a bow on this package, Pagoda's service was outstanding as well, starting with the warm hostess down to our friendly waiter.

Bottom line: Don't dismiss Pagoda as just another pretty Heights restaurant lacking true flavor. It's actually a date friendly bistro giving a gracious nod to Vietnamese cuisine in a surprisingly sexy setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment