Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Piola

4 out of 5 Stars

Website
3201 Louisiana StHouston, TX 77006 
(713) 524-8222

If pizza's actually partied, Piola is where they would rave.

Midtown's newest pizza joint seriously delivers (in flavor). As an international chain (ew) with locations in Chile, Honduras and even Turkey - I was shocked and surprised with my satisfaction of their thin crust pie.

If you've driven by, you may have been blinded by the colorful lights, but rest assured your eyes adjust once you settle in.

I arrived for my 8pm reservation on a Friday night and avoided a 30 minute wait. Piola is small but packs a crowd, so be prepared.

A full bar awaits you complete with several Brazilian specialty drinks (mostly fruit based). I went with an average Chianti as I salivated at my ideal menu.

SO. MANY.  PIZZAS.

ALL. LOOK. AMAZING.

Convinced I was already going to be a regular patron before my lips even touched a slice, I went ahead and ordered a more basic pizza - The Moderna topped with peppery arugula. If you can't make a solid plain pizza - I want nothing to do with you.

Lucky for Piola - they aced the test; delicate, thin, salty, cheesy perfection! Some may say Piola's pies skew soggy - but I'm not complaining. I ADORED MY PIZZA.

I also checked out the Gnocchi Pompeii - the simpler of 2 gnocchi dishes offered. It was your basic plate of pillowy carbs in a sub par tomato sauce.

I'd recommend foregoing the gnocchi for other parts of the menu still yet to be explored by me. Stay Tuned!

I loved Piola's high energy atmosphere. The only thing cheesy about this spot is their pizzas. Some have said it's a little club like - but I disagree. Although it's in the middle of midtown, once you are inside, Piola's much more Miami Beach.
 
Bonus: It's open till 1AM!

Bottom Line: Dolce Vita fans will find happiness with Piola's pizza in a more upbeat, casual setting. Your goth vegan, cousin will be sure to hate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment