Thursday, January 6, 2011

Anvil Bar & Refuge

3 out of 5 Stars

Website
1424 Westheimer
Houston, TX 77006
(713) 523-1622

Often a sucker for specialty bars and restaurants, Anvil did not weigh in strong for me. I'd like to preface that as much as I'm a foodie, my alcohol palette is limited to mostly straight vodka, beer and wine - so take this review with a grain of salt.

Anvil is all about the art of the mixed drink, providing Houstonians with an assortment of unique libations designed to excite the tastebuds and distract the mind. The atmosphere is undeniably cool and classy with red brick walls, leather couches and cocktail tables. You want to be there.

My fearless foursome hit up Anvil New Years Day evening to soothe our hangovers (ahem, my hangover). We ordered an assortment of beverages, as well as a pretzel and black eyed pea hummus (in honor of 2011).

The highlight of our orders was the "Tales of Uji" under the Gin drinks. Being a vodka girl myself, I was hesitant to sample but was intrigued by my friends' reactions after each sip. Even a poet could not replicate the rollercoaster of flavor in just one swig. My friend had no problem downing it, but I was good with my sample.

I have to say the hummus was divine as well boasting a creamy, buttery texture.

And for those ice freaks....yes - the ice is AMAZINGLY crushed at Anvil (designed to keep drinks as cool as possible). Very Smooth.

Ice and hummus aside, I was underwhelmed with Anvil. It started with my initial order. Already siting at a cocktail table, I approached the bar to order a classic citron martini. Not so fast....they don't do that here, seriously?

Alright, regular martini??? "I'll be right with you."

Keep in mind that Anvil employs MIXOLIGSTS, not bartenders. MAD RESPECT. Just watching them work their magic was a treat...that is if you are sitting at the bar. With that being said, if you are charging $10 for your drinks, maybe Bobby Huegel can hire a few cocktail waitresses to bring your drinks to your table so you aren't awkwardly hovering over the patrons enjoying the mixology show.

With each drink taking about 2-3 minutes to make and 3 drink orders placed before mine...my talented mixoligst turned into Mr. Bean in the scene from Love Actually, when Alan Rickman is trying to get his gift wrapped. "In the flashest of flashes" (who is with me?), my martini comes out...sans olive...sans fun martini glass. There WAS a beautiful ribbon of lemon peel floating in my glass...but then again, I like my martini dirty.....not dainty.

Bottom line: I won't turn down an invitation to Anvil again, so long as I'm sitting at the bar. After all, for $10 a drink in H-town, I want to sit back, relax and enjoy the mixology show.

No comments:

Post a Comment