Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Queen Vic Pub

4 out of 5 Stars
 
2712 Richmond Ave
Houston, TX 77098
(713) 533-0022
 
How am I expected to "Keep Calm and Dine On" when I can't help but yelp in excitement over one of Houston's hottest British pubs?

Oh yes, Queen Vic - you've arrived just in time. I often lament that one of Houston's biggest flaws is lack of late night fine dining, especially in the Greenway / Upper Kirby area (my usual stomping grounds). What if I want to have dinner AFTER I catch the 8pm film? Sometimes Taco C and La Tapatia just won't cut it.

Serving dinner till 11 on weekends; Queen Vic - THANK YOU!

But it's not just their late dinner that gets me all hot and bothered about Queen Vic.

Let's talk ambiance - Queen Vic's dark hardwoods and grand chandeliers manage to achieve complete understated cool and coziness - perfect for Houston's mild winters.

My pals and I sat in the extra long and tall cocktails tables across from the main bar in perfect view of the rotating beer menu.

Beer menu, you say?

Not just any old beer menu, a beer menu that allows you to drink flights for $9! I sure do love the non committal beer flight option from time to time. I ended up with Real Ale's Coffee, Pilsner Urqel, and two others selected by my waitress - all delish!

And then there was the fare...HEAVY...VERY HEAVY....BUT ALL WORTH IT.

I started with the short rib samosa appetizer. 4 golden brown pastries filled with tender, juicy, sweet and spicy rib meat. Truly delicious - I didn't even utilize the chutney dip that came with the dish.

My inaugural trip to Queen Vic could not be complete without classic Fish and Chips. The fish - GORGEOUS HALIBUT covered in the most perfect thick, dark brown batter. I could have eaten the halibut OR the batter alone, but together - WOW. The "chips" was the only downer of the meal. As a strong supporter in the "leave no fry behind" movement, I found the fries to be a little underwhelming and left them all for my dining partner. I'm just always going to be a thin and crispy kind of gal when it comes to my chips - it's not The Queen's fault.

More importantly, who's coming with me try the Scotch Eggs and naan for my next trip? Any takers for High Tea?

Bottom line: Queen Vic makes for the perfect spot when you want dinner to turn into drinks without having to change your seat or empty out your pockets.

God will not need to save the Queen if it continues to deliver like this.

Bonus: They have a side room perfect for private parties!

No comments:

Post a Comment