Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Midtown Retreat Salon & Day Spa

3 out of 5 Stars
 
2204 Louisiana
Houston, TX 77002
(713) 752-2700
 
I'm the type of chick who will splurge on fancy dinners and quality makeup, but when it comes to a mani / pedi it's rare to find me in any establishment over $30.

So when I came to Midtown Retreat, I was clearly looking for something special, OPI's gel nails to be exact! ***Consequently, this review is based on my experience with Midtown Retreat's gel nails service since otherwise I'd be going to my cheapy nail salon.***

Midtown Retreat is one of the handful of salons that offers this specialty mani that claims to last 2 weeks for double the price ($28).

As a gal with weddings weekend after weekend and a severe tendency to chip after day 3, OPI Axxium Gel nails seemed totally worth it.

It was definitely a treat to have a more calming mani experience at MR, as there were only 3 customers at the salon as opposed to the usual 15 at my normal nail spot.

Midtown Retreat boasts a modern decor with a soothing white and melon green color pallet. The employees were pleasant and offered me a bottled water during my treatment.

How did my gel nails do? My first application lasted a whopping 2.5 weeks---I WAS HOOKED!

BONUS - your nails dry INSTANTLY so no more botched nails when you get into your car (always a victim of this)!!

Like a crack addict, I went back for more....

...FAIL...they charge you $5 just to remove the fading polish ($10 if you are not getting a second application).

...FAIL AGAIN.....my polish only lasted 1 week this time....(ironically, I was more active with my hands during my first application of gel nails).

So...are gel nails worth it? It's a gamble....not one I'm going to bank on again.

But seriously, if you don't mind spending the extra $$ on a mani pedi for a more spa - like experience, Midtown Retreat is a swell option. They also offer hair, massage and facial services for those of you who work / live in the area. Unfortunately, MR was just not a fit for me.

Now I need to figure out how to remove the remaining polish before I have to spend another $10 on these suckers! Doh!

No comments:

Post a Comment