Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Guadalajara Del Centro

3 out of 5 Stars
 
1201 San Jacinto St
Houston, TX 77002
(713) 650-0101
 
You know why I love a late Saturday lunch?

Lunch just became happy hour. This does not bode well for potential dinner plans....eh, so be it!

My trio settled into  the L shaped bar up front, turned on the game (like I cared), and began feasting on complimentary bottomless chips and salsa (the double edged sword of all Mexican cuisine). We are in trouble - the chips were thin and warm and the salsa - fresh and medium spiced (looks like I'm getting full already).

We proceed to order from the appropriately sized beer menu with everyone's favorite Mexican imports as well as several local beers including St. Arnold's. Neil K. went with a $7 Mexican Martini that was so strong we called him out for nursing it....in other words, perfection.

As for sustenance, we order off the $3.50 well rounded happy hour menu.

First up, the queso blanco which did the job, though I prefer the orange variety. Next were the nachos - a small plate of 4 chips stacked with ground taco beef, melted white cheese, and jalapenos. Decent for $3.50 (and more filling than it sounds). We also destroyed the chicken flautas with a poblano cream sauce on the side, my personal favorite of our 3 selections.

Neil K. manned up and got a full throttle platter consisting of tacos, enchiladas, rice, beans, and a generous helping of pico de gallo (which I really respected). I hate when they charge you extra for a very necessary condiment!!! He polished the platter off, so it was definitely enjoyed, but would never consider this place a top 5 Tex Mex joint by any means.

All in all average food. I will say that the atmosphere was pleasant, colorful and chic. I particularly eyed the intimate round booths that could seat about 6. Service was on point as our bar waitress was as nice as can be and our food and drinks came out in perfect timing.

I think Guadalajara del Centro makes perfect sense for a downtown happy hour or an OK meal before an event downtown.

Otherwise, there is no reason find parking for this Tex Mex joint....stick with El Tiempo.

No comments:

Post a Comment